Monday, October 11, 2021

Surgical Consultation #2


The meeting with the surgeon Dr. Kai Engstad went well in that he saw no reason not to recommend surgery – his remarks are above. This means that a cancer-free future is still possible.  

Engstad warned the complexity of the operation is higher than before because the tumor is in a region that was recently operated on. Scar tissue, flesh reconstituting after disruption, can make for tricky going. Also, the difficulty of the procedure may be increased depending on what surfaces the tumor has adhered to. There is no way to know these finer points without opening me up.

Although Dr. Shao has said that this type of cancer, synovial sarcoma, can not be treated with radiation, I will consult with a radiation oncologist. This is to understand thoroughly what radiation can do in this case. If there is no significant benefit, Dr. Engstad would prefer to skip radiation as this would create more irregular surfaces in the area to be excised.

My main fear is that these surgical procedures become a game of whack-a-mole. The thought I had 16 years between bouts of cancer makes me optimistic I can have another good run.

Many people have acknowledged the difficulty of this period for me and my family. I am so very grateful to receive words of support and empathy. I am comforted that I am part of a web of significant relationships that have defined and enhanced my life. I hope that by posting the details of my cancer treatment here I can skip recounting them in conversation. I don’t know if I will live a long or short time, but either way I prefer to minimize the black thoughts and try and find a positive headspace. So much is unknowable.

I will have a telemedicine consultation with the radiation oncologist later today. As always, I will post all information here.

1 comment:

  1. Eric, you've been on my mind since Robin mentioned you'd be seeing your surgeon today. I greatly appreciate your willingness to share your latest news and also completely understand not wanting to rehash anything in conversation. Consider your wishes respected.

    Although we haven't met, my friendship with Robin tells me what kind of person you are, and why you have so much support from the world around you. I'm wishing you t he very best as you navigate this cancer journey, and will stay tuned to this channel for further news. Big hugs to you, friend--- Jennifer

    ReplyDelete