Tuesday, April 27, 2021

The Big Reveal


Today I met with Dr. Engstad, the surgeon who will operate on me in a few weeks. After many different tests and scans, he concluded that the lower lobe of my left lung will need to be removed.

Although I will be losing 25% of my lung capacity, he said that after a year of healing and rehabilitation I might only be down 10% as the human body has excess lung capacity. Hiking, biking, skiing should still be on the table and I don’t yet need to recalibrate with birdwatching.

This certainly was good news, a huge sigh of relief, that there is a best possible outcome that has me doing the activities that I love. Still, I need to prepare for the chance that radiation or some other treatment might be necessary, and nothing is a sure thing.

Dr. Engstad stressed that unlike more common cancers, where patterns of recurrence and metastasis are well known, the behavior of sarcomas is little understood. Was the original sarcoma in my neck connected to this new one? Why had sarcoma been dormant for 15 years? Where was it hiding? Where to look for any new outbreaks?

He talked about how there is a randomness to medicine as well as other aspects of life, as the medical profession declares one “cured” after 5 years of regular cancer scans. How did the doctors arrive at the 5-year number? “Five fingers, five toes,” he said.

The operation itself will not require a massive incision. The item of concern that will keep me hospitalized is how long it will take for the wound to stop leaking air. Generally the time is 3-6 days. Afterwards a few months of taking it easy and then the work of rehabilitation.

Before this diagnosis I had the aspirational philosophy of not taking the relationships in my life for granted. Illness certainly sharpens that feeling many times over. I want to give everyone a big hug in gratitude for all the good energy sent our way. I will continue to post significant milestones on this blog but expect that after the operation things will not be happening so fast.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you in person soon.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like even though there is still some uncertainty, this is promising and good news! I'm sure that you will be back to full speed in no time! Sending you love 💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Eric! this does sound like good news. I am super happy for you! Sending you and Robin both hugs and much love and appreciation for being the wonderful people that you most certainly are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25% percent lung capacity... Bahh who needs it anyway? You got this E! There is still so much cycling, skiing and photography of downhill skaters ;) to be had - that you're still going to have to do your fair share. Fingers crossed and thinking of you and the Flammily. Much love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gladly give up my budding career as an opera singer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you, Eric, and sending positive thoughts for a complete and speedy recovery! Love to Robin, Olivia and Jonah 🥰

    ReplyDelete