Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Meeting with the Oncologist Round 2

Portland cherry blossoms. 

Today Dr. Shao summarized the state of my cancer thus far – no surprises based on the test results and our previous conversation.

The tumor is a synovial sarcoma, the same cancer I had in 2005. The lung tumor is discrete in the meaning that it is not a metastasis from another spot – if that were so there would be several spots of cancer in my body. The PET scan did not reveal any other tumors.

Surgery will be the primary tool to attack the tumor. In two weeks I will meet with the surgeon. He may insist that for a better outcome some form of chemotherapy be done. In that case, there are some options, but Dr. Shao stressed that chemo and radiation will be periphery treatments this time around.

My lung, recently drained of fluid, is not refilling at a fast rate and there is the feeling from Dr. Shao that I am not in a race against time. Nobody is delaying anything but having to wait two weeks for a surgical consultation should be no big deal.

Robin, Jonah, and I will get our second shot of the vaccine April 10th and soon after we hope to modestly increase our social exposure. My mood is generally good and with the better weather I hope to distract myself with walks and bike rides.

Thanks for reading.

 

1 comment: